UPDATED: Beaufort Brush And Second Alarm Fire Under Investigation

Updated Sat. 3:30 p.m.

Fire Crews spent eight hours on the scene of last night's fire dealing with the 80 round bales after the fire spread, catching them on fire.

Beaufort, Mo. - Friday evening’s large brush fire is under investigation after destroying two structures, one being a large metal shed used to store farming equipment, all of which was a complete loss.  There were also approximately 80 round bales inside and around the metal shed which also caught fire.

Beaufort/Leslie Fire responded at 4:18 p.m. to 918 Farrar Road, approximately 11 miles south of Beaufort, Mo.  Crews were initially dispatched for a brush fire but then learned the fire had spread to a nearby structure prompting the call to be upgraded to a first alarm structure along with additional brush trucks.

Pictured right is the metal shed after being burnt to the ground.

After arriving on scene officials struck as second alarm when they discovered the fire had spread to a second structure located on the neighboring property.  A total of six additional departments responded to assist.  (New Haven, Gerald/Rosebud, Sullivan, Washington, Union, and Boles)

Earlier this afternoon we spoke with Beaufort/Leslie Fire Chief Terry Feth who said they had gone back to the scene this morning and estimated that approximately 30 acres were burnt.  Initially it was estimated last night that 100 acres had burned, however at that time there was very little day light.

Pictured left is the location where the fire started.  Off to the right is a small shed, one of the two structures to burn.

An individual burning stuff inside a barrel has been determined to be the cause of the fire that left fire fighters on the scene for nearly eight hours.

Despite extremely dry conditions and wind speeds steady at 20 mph and gusting at 40 mph (according to the National Weather Service) an individual burning stuff inside a barrel has been determined to be the cause of the fire, which left fire fighters on the scene for nearly eight hours.

Pictured right is one of two piles of round bales that caught fire.

Franklin County Fire Investigator Jim Schuhmacher responded to the scene considering the circumstances and according to our source there is a possibility the individual may face charges for careless burning, which will be up to the Franklin County Prosecuting Attorney’s Office.  Whether they decide to purse charges is unknown.

Beaufort/Leslie Fire Chief Terry Feth said, “Even though the Department of Natural Resources (DNR) allow people to burn this time of the year you should still exercise caution when burning and use common sense.  It is very dry right now and all it takes is one burning amber to start a fire.”

**Today (Saturday) there has already been one report of a large brush fire in the Owensville area.  Conditions are even worse than yesterday and when the initial call came in for the fire in Owensville (between 12 p.m. and 1 p.m.) winds were gusting between 35 mph and 50 mph.

Below is an aireal view simply to give you an idea of how the fire spread, from where the fire started and the direction it spread.

Initial publish Friday night
Kyle Quick's initial live report from the scene.